TECDC’s Charge & Mission Statement: (revised 3/26/13)
1. Work with the Town Council, Town Manager, Economic Development Commission and the Planning and Zoning Commission to advance the economic development and public welfare of the Town of Tolland by promoting and assisting the growth and development of businesses, including small business concerns, increasing employment opportunities promoting the community economic well-being of the Town of Tolland, and assuring financial viability while improving the quality of life of all its residents.
2. Work to achieve the principal objectives of the Corporation to benefit the community by promoting development in:
- The Tolland Technology Campus Zone, a proposed high technology business corridor along Route 195 and coordinating with the development of the UCONN Tech Park by developing working relationships with the individuals and agencies within the University of Connecticut responsible for activities involving economic and business development, for the purpose of joint discussions and activities.
- The Tolland Village Area, a mixed-use planned Transit Oriented Development.
- The Gateway Design District by promoting planned growth to create and maintain employment opportunities.
3. Increase and coordinate the flow of economic development and related funds to be used in the implementation of programs and projects consistent with the other purposes of the Corporation. The Corporation, acting in conjunction with the Town Manager may hire an individual or consultants as deemed necessary and within budgeted amounts, to further the development of projects.
4. Establish a framework within which coordination of public and private sector efforts may be facilitated in order to accomplish the purposes of this Corporation, where interested land owners could match funds provided by the Town for development purposes in accordance with the regulations adopted by the Planning and Zoning Commission.
5. Preserve and expand the tax base of the Town of Tolland.
6. Assist the Town of Tolland in the planning and development of projects and other activities to accomplish the purposes of the Corporation.
7. Act as a development agency for the Town of Tolland pursuant to Chapter 132 of the Connecticut General Statutes, as amended from time to time.
8. Engage in any lawful act or activity for which corporations may be formed under Chapter 602 of the Connecticut General Statutes, provided such act or activity is consistent with the purposes otherwise set forth herein.
9. Notwithstanding any other provision herein, the Corporation shall not carry on any activities not permitted to be carried on (a) by a corporation exempt from Federal Income Tax under Section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section of any future tax code, or (b) by a corporation, contributions to which are deductible under Section 170(c) of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section of any future tax code.
# of Members: 7