The Town of Tolland is continuing to monitor the impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). In an abundance of caution, the Tolland Town Hall Hicks Memorial Building, The Tolland Public Library, Tolland Senior Center, Tolland Fire Stations, Tolland DPW Highway Garage, and the Tolland Recreation Center remain closed to the public until further notice. Again, we have made this determination in an effort to ensure the health and well-being of citizens and staff alike, and appreciate your patience during this critical time. Additionally, events at the Lodge at Crandall Park are being cancelled through at least April 19. All Town playgrounds are also closed until further notice. Registration for Recreation programs will be delayed until at least April 20th due to the uncertainties of when programs will be able to begin.
All in-person public meetings and public hearings that were scheduled to take place until March 30 have either been cancelled, or will take place remotely using video conferencing software. If a meeting is taking place virtually, the agenda will have instructions on how to access the meeting remotely. Several meetings are scheduled to take place in this manner.
Town Hall staff will continue to report to work during normal business hours, and will be accessible by telephone or email. Please see the below phone list for your convenience. Town offices will be staffed Monday through Wednesday from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, and Thursday from 8:00 AM to 7:30 PM. For business to be conducted, please contact us via phone, email, or postal mail. The Town departments’ contact information is located at the end of this document and can be located via our website www.tolland.org/departments. If your business absolutely requires your presence at the Town Hall, please call the office you need to ensure it is staffed and to determine if your request can be obtained via mail or email. If you have a specific need please contact our offices and we will assist you in any way we can.
|Building & Health Department||860-871-3601|
|Planning & Development||860-871-3601|
|Registrar of Voters||860-871-3634|
|Resident Trooper’s Office||860-926-4695|
|Town Manager’s Office||860-871-3600|
The health of our residents, staff, and families is a top priority. The Eastern Highlands Health District (EHHD) recommends any protocols that promote social distancing, and encourage appropriate respiratory etiquette and hygiene at home, in the workplace, and out in public
For updated information on COVID-19 please visit the State of Connecticut's website at https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus or call 2-1-1 for general information, or see the Governor’s Frequently Asked Questions page at https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/Coronavirus/COVID-19-FAQs.pdf?la=en
For our Tolland community:
- Tolland declared a Public Health and Civil Preparedness Emergency on March 12, 2020. We are taking action to protect our most vulnerable citizens who are at higher risk. These include those age 60 or older, and/or those with chronic conditions or weakened immune systems. If you fall into one of these categories, you are strongly encouraged not to attend meetings or events with large numbers of people.
- Tolland Public Schools remain closed by Executive Order of the Governor, with a tentative return date of April 20, 2020.
- The Tolland Senior Center will be temporarily closed to the public, until further notice. We are working on proactive measures and assistance programs to specifically aid our Seniors and high-risk populations. While the Town develops these programs, we encourage those most at-risk to call a trusted neighbor, family member, or friend to help out with tasks if needed. Residents – we need your help with this. Please check on your neighbors by phone if you can!
- Please do not attend large gatherings. This situation is constantly evolving. Right now, the guidance from the U.S. President stipulates that you are to avoid gatherings of 10 people or more, but this number is ever-changing.
- The Governor announced that the CT Presidential Preference Primary is delayed until June 2, 2020.
- Starting Friday, March 27 the Tolland Public Library will no longer be offering curbside service due to the changing situation of the COVID-19 outbreak. Library staff is available during regular hours to answer questions by phone 860-871-3620 or by email email@example.com.
- Effective March 19, 2020, until further notice, Willimantic Waste is cancelling all curbside bulky waste/metal collection for the health and safety of their employees, customers and the communities they service. This message only concerns curbside bulky waste collection/metal collection only.
- Please place everything inside your trash and recycling totes. Willimantic Waste is requesting their drivers to stay in their vehicle and not necessarily handle the trash or recyclables. Thank you for your continued cooperation.
The Mid-NEROC Household Chemical Waste Drop-Off Facility at 57 Hancock Road in Willington (off of Ruby Road/Route 320, or Exit 71 off of I-84), which is normally open the first and third Saturday of each month, 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM, from mid-April through early November except holiday weekends is delaying their opening until further notice.
Tolland Emergency Management is building a list of those residents who are willing to volunteer to assist the Town during this time of crisis. While we do not yet have specific assignments at this time, we are trying to prepare before the need arises. Some of the skills we may be looking for are:
- Computer skills – WORD and/or EXCEL and/or POWERPOINT
- Data entry
- Telephone call-takers
- GIS Mapping
- Please let us know if you have specialized skills!
If you are available and would like to assist, please email your name, address, contact number, and skills to firstname.lastname@example.org, please include your availability and time of day preferences, or call 860-375-8211. Please note: In order to be considered, you must be able to commit to a minimum of four hours per shift.
Also, please call 860-375-8205 for COVID-19 information/questions, or if you need to request non-emergency assistance. At this time, the phones numbers will be staffed weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Tolland Emergency Management is partnering with the Human Services Department to hold a Food Drive starting Thursday, March 26, 2020. These items will be distributed to Tolland residents in need. We are collecting non-perishable items.For a full list of requested items, please visit https://www.tolland.org/human-services/pages/food-pantry.
Also, please check expiration dates and do not bring any items that require refrigeration.Items can be dropped off at the Tolland Fire Training Center from Monday through Friday, 8am-12pm.Please leave donations in the black trailer in front of the Fire Training Center at 191 Merrow Road.
We will also be collecting pet food donations. Dry and canned, dog and cat food are greatly appreciated. (4/6 pound or 15/20 pound bags are preferred).
Items may also be ordered online and sent to:
We are recommending the following controls to reduce the transmission of COVID-19 and other infectious diseases in our workplaces:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Wash your clothes after you have been out in public.
- You should stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Obtain a flu vaccine.
Symptoms include: (The following symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure)
Call your doctor and they will give you instructions
We will continue to provide updates on this evolving situation. Again, for more information on COVID-19 please visit the State of Connecticut's website at https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus or call 2-1-1 for general information, or see the Governor’s Frequently Asked Questions page at https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/Coronavirus/COVID-19-FAQs.pdf?la=en